Author Topic: How well do quadratracs off-road?  (Read 3252 times)

How well do quadratracs off-road?
« on: 08/23/09, 10:00PM »

Offline coyote1911

• City Slicker
  • Proud Infidel
Ive read a good bit about them and seen where they have been used a lot in desert racing but not much about use on trails.   Could I use selectable lockers like an ARB if I only used them in "emergency mode" where the transfer case differential is locked.

Ive almost got my new toy ready for the road again and it I do have to drive it for short grocery trips and stuff like that so I may not alter it from its present state but if I get something else to drive on the hwy I may look to take it a few steps further.

Re: How well do quadratracs off-road?
« Reply #1 on: 08/24/09, 12:25AM »

Offline willysman22

• Ranch Local
What tire size are you running?With it locked center,front and rear,I would limit tire size to 35's,(37's with low axle gears).The reason is I have saw the diff-lock mechanism and it might break if it is put under enough stress.Quadra-tracs will work fine with arbs,and they will work without the emergency-drive engaged, but I wouldn't recommend it.If you in a spot where axle locks are to be used,then you probably need the center locked first.Some reasons why you don't see them on the trail muck is because you don't see as many FSJ as you do cjs,tjs,etc.The are a good case when properly maintained,and they are actually not hard to work on.Many people install part-time kits in them when their differential wears out,but for the cost of a PT kit,one could have swapped in a 300 or put the money towards a 203/205 setup.The sun gear or input gear for the low range unit has been discontinued as well as the differential assembly,so lack of parts availability is another downside.Low range is about 2.61 so it has a decent ratio.It does wear the chain more than a PT case,so the chain wear is something to keep in mind.The other thing is it takes a special fluid to run the cluthes in the diff unit.I have heard of people who "substitued" QT fluid with atf.You can do that if you have a PT kit,but not if you still run FT.The 1339 is also kinda hard on the trans mounts due to torque from the driveshafts,since its outputs are inline with each other. For mild use I would say the 1339(and 1305)is a good trail case with no real serious faults,and I have had two jeeps with that case.
80' short-bed Toyota, Lexus V8, yota' stuff
09' Suzuki Kingquad 750AXI
48'Willys CJ2A
18' Jeep JLU Sport HT

« Reply #2 on: 08/24/09, 05:06PM »

Offline coyote1911

• City Slicker
  • Proud Infidel
Currently running 35s

79 Cherokee Chief
unknown lift
dual steering stabilizers. dual shocks at all 4 corners.  truss on rear axle.

open diffs w/ I believe the factory 3.54 gears.

I think it will be a pretty fun rig if I can ever get the 360 to running.  It took a big crap about 3 weeks after I bought the jeep. supposedly the previous owner rebuilt it but somebody didnt do a very good job if they did.

« Reply #3 on: 08/24/09, 09:53PM »

Offline willysman22

• Ranch Local
Sorry to hear about the engine.Some people seem to think that if they change the gaskets and timing chain that this constitutes a rebuild.The QT would have an easier time with open diffs,but the thing with the QT is the lockout was meant temporary use,and you were supposed to rely on the limited slip differential to take care of traction issues.You can use it when you need it,but like I mentioned before, the differential and lockout ring can't handle a whole bunch of shock loads,just by looking at them.I only had up to 31's with any one of my QT jeeps,and they always held up ,so all I can say is run it and see.Everybody drives differently.
48'Willys CJ2A
18' Jeep JLU Sport HT

« Reply #4 on: 08/26/09, 10:24PM »

Offline 2jeepdrivers

• Ranch Local
I will let you know in a month or so how strong a quadratrac is.  I am working on trading my manual with D20 for a th400 with a quadratrac just because I don't like a manual in my right hand drive. I am running 37's locked front and rear though. Willy's man I think this may be the tranny out of your old wagoneer did you sell it to a guy in West Plains.
55' Willys Wagon Injected AMC 360, th400, 203/205, D44,12bolt
66' CJ6 in process of 302,c6,D44's,33's, soa and coils, full cage and some armor

« Reply #5 on: 08/26/09, 10:33PM »

Offline willysman22

• Ranch Local
I think so,was it Nightstalker here?It was a good case, but I never had it apart.I fixed emergency drive on it,thats all I did to it.I gave him a spare 1339 case in pieces to.I have a jeep th400 in pieces if you want it you can have it.
48'Willys CJ2A
18' Jeep JLU Sport HT

« Reply #6 on: 08/27/09, 10:06AM »

Offline NightStalker

• Ranch Local
  • I'll keep my Guns, and Money, you keep the Change
    • Eagle's Wings Recovery Program
Yep, it was me and I have responded by email.

Thanks
77 CJ7 mostly Stock, Rust Brown under Hunter Green
><>give a man a fish, and feed him for a day...teach a man to fish and feed him for life<><