Author Topic: Oil Sump Screen??  (Read 3128 times)

Oil Sump Screen??
« on: 10/03/09, 08:06PM »

Offline BrandXJ

• Ranch Local
Hey yall,
 New to this world (somewhat)and have a 95 Wrangler 4 popper I just picked up a couple of days ago. Came to the park and wheeled a little, usual bouncing and up and down hills, (moderate)and when I got back to Ranch road from High Moutnain road I lost oil pressure. When it sat for a few minutes it came back up then went back down...

Question,
Is it hard to change out the oil pump screen and what are the tricks to not tear anything else up? Will this happen again if I wheel it again in the same manner; Rance road to Keller circle; High Mountain road to Ranch road and home?
I know there's a grocery store out here somewhere...

Re: Oil Sump Screen??
« Reply #1 on: 10/03/09, 09:53PM »

Offline Twail Weetard

• Ranch Local
  • YAY YAY i LoVe BaCOn
how do you know it the oil pump screen? What about sending unit? The trails you ran should have no effect on oil pressure unless your at a really steep angle,then the oil pressure will usuually go down. Give us more info , like milage and what does your oil look like? Start with the simple stuff first in diagnosis.

alex
I wick windows and wet myself, hab u steen my baball.... FRANKS N BEANS!

« Reply #2 on: 10/03/09, 10:10PM »

Offline BrandXJ

• Ranch Local
166,000 on the engine, oil looks good on the stick. Not smelly or dark at all. Bronco Ted checked it out and told me what it probably was and said it was a pretty simple fix, but simple for him is different for someone who has'nt done it before.
 What other parts and pieces; pan gasket?

« Reply #3 on: 10/03/09, 11:37PM »

Offline willysman22

• Ranch Local
It could also be a loose oil pickup tube sucking air once in awhile.I have had a jeep do that.The pan and the gasket are not hard to R&R,just inspect the screen and tightness of the pickup.
80' short-bed Toyota, Lexus V8, yota' stuff
09' Suzuki Kingquad 750AXI
48'Willys CJ2A
18' Jeep JLU Sport HT

« Reply #4 on: 10/04/09, 12:29AM »

Offline 91YEEPER

• Ranch Local
  • breaker downer
just some fyi, all of the jeep inline engines will run all day on the drivers side, just dont flop them on the pass side for too long. it sounds like the pickup tube cracked or is leaking somehow. could be a defective pump. could be a bad sender for the gauge.

« Reply #5 on: 10/04/09, 10:27AM »

Offline BrandXJ

• Ranch Local
The reason for my thinking the screen may be clogged is this thing had never been wheeled the way it was. Possible for sludge to rise up from the bottom to the screen and clog it after being "shaken up"? After sitting for a while it acts fine.

« Reply #6 on: 10/04/09, 02:46PM »

Offline BrandXJ

• Ranch Local
Just took about a trip on county roads and US 60 from slow to hiway speeds and oil pressure is fine and consistant.
 I will drop the pan soon and clean it when I change oil and replace screen if it's contaminated.
 Thanks to all who've helped and I'll keep you updated...

« Reply #7 on: 10/04/09, 02:57PM »

Offline Floppy Peaches

• Ranch Rocker
  • Ranch Local
I think I would dump a can of resoln or seafoam in and run it awhile. Then change the oil and put some Lucuas in and see what happens before I went through the trouble of dropping the pan. The Reslon or Seafoam will dissolve the sludge so it will drain with the next oil change.
Wheel, Break, Repair, Repeat