Author Topic: TJ Death Wobble  (Read 5836 times)

TJ Death Wobble
« on: 10/28/09, 05:49PM »

Offline SilverRubicon

• Ranch Local
i haven an 04 Wrangler Rubicon 4" procomp lift with MT Baja MTZ's with death wobble. i have had this issue for about 4 months now and the only thing i can think of that would cause it is a put a tire on a tree and drove up it for pictures....i know stupid Idc lol. i have taken it to johns 4x4 which is who did my lift and i have taken it to safari offroad... both saw nothing wrong.. safari put cambered bolts on the axle side of my lower control arms. which did nothing. new stabilizer shock..."big bandaid" does not hide it. everything seems to be tight. any ideas? I want to sell it but i do not want to sell it to someone with this issue.
04' Rubicon, 4" ProComp Stage II,  MT BaJa MTZ 33x12.5x15

Re: TJ Death Wobble
« Reply #1 on: 10/28/09, 07:29PM »

Offline Floppy Peaches

• Ranch Rocker
  • Ranch Local
I had the same problem with my 97 TJ I had to add more positive camber and toe in. I think it was 4 more degrees of toe in and don't remember how much camber. But that should help.
Wheel, Break, Repair, Repeat

« Reply #2 on: 10/28/09, 07:32PM »

Offline SilverRubicon

• Ranch Local
see safari played with all that and it didnt even calm it down and btw the wheels are 15x10 steelies on 33x12.50 tires.. the tires dont show signs of a slipped belt i would figure after this long there would be a bulge somewhere?

« Reply #3 on: 10/28/09, 09:51PM »

Offline bronco72

• Ranch Local
Wouldn't rotating the tires tell you if that was the problem?  I would take it to Horizon Automotive in Springfield and talk to Bob, he will find the problem.
72 BRONCO ON PROPANE FULL HYDRO STEERING LOCKERS AND 10 CANS OF OD GREEN KRYLON.

« Reply #4 on: 10/28/09, 10:03PM »

Offline SilverRubicon

• Ranch Local
i have rotated and reballanced and also realigned all were 0 success.

« Reply #5 on: 10/28/09, 10:05PM »

Offline bronco72

• Ranch Local
Wow!  I would take it to Bob then he is very good.  What speed does this happen or is it all the time?
72 BRONCO ON PROPANE FULL HYDRO STEERING LOCKERS AND 10 CANS OF OD GREEN KRYLON.

« Reply #6 on: 10/28/09, 10:07PM »

Offline SilverRubicon

• Ranch Local
45-50

« Reply #7 on: 10/28/09, 10:38PM »

Offline Twail Weetard

• Ranch Local
  • YAY YAY i LoVe BaCOn
Death wobble or bump steer? Mine does it at 35-45mph and it just kinda moves the steering wheel back and forth. Death wobble is a scary event where the whole rig shakes and you can barely control it. Have you checked your drive shafts? did they hit on a rock or get dented? Is your track bar and drag link parallel?

Alex
I wick windows and wet myself, hab u steen my baball.... FRANKS N BEANS!

« Reply #8 on: 10/28/09, 11:12PM »

Offline SilverRubicon

• Ranch Local
its most definatly death wobble when it happens i have to come almost to a stop before i can go again. and im no sure about trackbar-draglink. but what i dont understand is i can drive it a whole day/week with no episodes then all of the sudden its doing it... so im not sure

« Reply #9 on: 10/29/09, 11:20AM »

Offline LoneWolf

• Clinging to guns and religion
  • Ranch Regulator
  • Ranch Local
  • The Ruby Lee
My 05 Rubicon did the same thing at 45-50. I just lived with it... I tried everything, but seen an article/write up somewhere that said that the 45mph wobble was caused by bad unibearings; and that by replacing them it would fix the problem. I never got around to fixing it; rolled the jeep and then got rid of it.

I'm sure you've researched till you're blue in the face; just like I did... I checked everything... tires, trackbar, trackbar mounting hole (if wallowed out at all can cause it), trackbar bushings... The only thing I never got to do was replace the unibearings. I'm not saying that's your problem, just saying it could be, as I read that in a death wobble article once. DW is caused from something up front so try setting your jeep on jack stands (under the axles) so as to not let the suspension drop; get in it, put it in 4WD and get the tires spinning so you can see if they are wobbly or out of round or something. Just be careful! good luck.
:USA: