Author Topic: TJ Death Wobble  (Read 5831 times)

Re: TJ Death Wobble
« Reply #10 on: 10/29/09, 08:01PM »

Offline SilverRubicon

• Ranch Local
yes i have researched like crazy and i swear it could be anything or a compination of things up front and i really dont want to just start part swapping.
04' Rubicon, 4" ProComp Stage II,  MT BaJa MTZ 33x12.5x15

« Reply #11 on: 10/30/09, 01:10PM »

Offline LoneWolf

• Clinging to guns and religion
  • Ranch Regulator
  • Ranch Local
  • The Ruby Lee
I meant to tell you to also jack up the front and check for play in the bearings or balljoints.  side to side and up and down.
:USA:

« Reply #12 on: 12/28/09, 07:05PM »

Offline Steve Moore

• City Slicker
Try more toe in and lean the axle back to 7%

« Reply #13 on: 01/11/10, 11:29AM »

Offline Ross

• Ranch Local
yes i have researched like crazy and i swear it could be anything or a compination of things up front and i really dont want to just start part swapping.
In my experience Death Wobble for me has been due to a loose track bar, or bad tie rod ends. Death Wobble being when the jeep starts to shake so bad you have to slow way down to get it to stop shaking.  Other vibration that either comes and goes or at certain speed or while steering that doesn't require you slow down to get it under control has been control arm bushings worn, tires out of balance, bad u joints or wheel hub bearing assembly.  The last two may be accompanied by various noises.

To check

As far as alignment, I use a tape measure for toe,(about an 1/8 of an inch in) and caster and camper I have adjustable control arms and only worried about the drive line angle.  I have 3" suspension and 1 inch spacer.

To check you tie rod ends have somebody sit in the jeep and turns the wheel back right and left and look for ends not moving smoothly or popping.  For the track bar check both ends to make sure they are tight.  The frame end needs to be very tight, the axle end about 65 lbs I think.  Control arms may clunk when bad.
« Last Edit: 01/11/10, 11:33AM by Ross »