Author Topic: Question about lift kit  (Read 5160 times)

Question about lift kit
« on: 11/19/09, 04:02PM »

Offline 77ford

• Ranch Local
I posted along time ago I was going to get my old 77 ford back on the road and now I'm finally ready to get started. I have a question for all you 4x4 experts out there.

I'm looking at 4" lift kit from rough country to replace the homemade that is currently in it. They have a trac bar bracket listed that used instead of getting an adjustable trac bar. Have any of you used the brackets? Do you have a better suggestion? I've looked a few kits some want me to cut and weld the trac bar, that seems risky to me. This truck will have highway time so I need it to be safe at all speeds.

Thanks for any help, and hopefully I'll be out to see you all next summer!

Re: Question about lift kit
« Reply #1 on: 11/19/09, 06:57PM »

Offline Blueyellow

• Ranch Rocker
  • Ranch Local
  • Bring it on!
    • blueyellows webspace
For one If you can Find another Kit other than Rough country I would... Fab tech or procomp lifts Ride much better and better built.... I Installed and drove many a truck and jeeps with lifts when I worked for 4 wheel parts. as far as your track bar Bracket we used the relocation bracket unless the sales person would upsell a Adjustable track bar... They Both seem to work alright But The Adjustable Track Bar would probably be My option.. Just means one less bolt on part to go loose.... Just my Two cents Hope ya get it out to the ranch when ya get it done
89 YJ Islander edition

Ranch Rocker!!!
Seeyouonthetrail

« Reply #2 on: 11/20/09, 10:25AM »

Offline 77ford

• Ranch Local
Not sure those two companies will be an option for me. There on line catalogs do not go back to 77 ford. I've sent them email, we'll see. I've also been looking at superlift kits. They have an adjustable trac bar option.

I know some of it's a matter of personal preference I've ready both good and bad about all the companies. I have time to do some research, going to try and get her running this weekend. Once I'm sure the 460 is still solid, I'll order a lift kit and probably a locker for the dana up front. I has a limited slip in the back currently. I'll need to get some new tires and wheels for it as well.

On a different note, how often is the park open during these winter months?

« Reply #3 on: 11/20/09, 12:30PM »

Offline LoneWolf

• Clinging to guns and religion
  • Ranch Regulator
  • Ranch Local
  • The Ruby Lee
I ran rough country stuff on My TJ for while. Nothing wrong with it; and it's the best bang for the buck on the market.. hands down.
:USA:

« Reply #4 on: 11/20/09, 05:01PM »

Offline 77ford

• Ranch Local
I received emails back today from both of those companies, no dice.

« Reply #5 on: 11/20/09, 05:49PM »

Offline 24lisa

• Ranch Rocker
  • Ranch Local
I ran a Rough country kit on a 79 ford with f-150 with a 460 with good results. the drop bracket for the track bar was never an issue. I had the 6 inch kit but i would stay with the four because the drop buckets for the radius arms you have to have with the 6in kill your ground clearance.
PaulLisa

« Reply #6 on: 11/20/09, 07:13PM »

Offline bronco72

• Ranch Local
I would go with a kit from wildhorses4x4.com  Otherwise superlift and skyjacker should offer pretty good performance as far as rough country goes I had one of the xj kits and had no problems they stand behind the stuff if you have any problems and I would not be afraid of them.  I am running the track bar riser bracket on my bronco and I think its great.  As far as the radius arm brackets go,  stay away  that is the biggest mistake I have made on my bronco so far.  Good luck and if you have any more questions let us know.  I also have a 78 ford pickup I plan on making road ready again this winter if you get a kit with rear springs I could really use your factory ones as I have one broken.  Good Luck.
72 BRONCO ON PROPANE FULL HYDRO STEERING LOCKERS AND 10 CANS OF OD GREEN KRYLON.

« Reply #7 on: 11/20/09, 09:18PM »

Offline 24lisa

• Ranch Rocker
  • Ranch Local
every 70's ford i ever had had a broken spring in the back
PaulLisa

« Reply #8 on: 11/23/09, 09:52AM »

Offline 77ford

• Ranch Local
Thank you for all the good info. I'll keep digging into it. I wondered if the radius arm bracket were self defeating because it would take away from ground clearance.

I did manage to get the truck running over the weekend. It's still along ways to go but it was nice to hear it run again. I plan on order a big batch of parts for the long weekend maybe even tires and wheels this weekend too. I think I'm going with 35" tires instead of the 33x12.5 that are on it now. I assume 10" wheels and I should not have any clearance issues. Any comment on that?

« Reply #9 on: 11/23/09, 03:14PM »

Offline 77ford

• Ranch Local
I went by my local tire shop today to look at wheels. He has a heck of a buy on set of 38x14.5x15.0 super swampers, brand new $160 each.

Somehow I don't think those would fit, unless I move up to 6" of suspension lift. Anyone have a comment on that? I would like to be able to drive the old truck around town from time to time. Not really a daily driver but a Sunday afternoon ice cream kinda deal.

I'm afraid if I go 6" lift and 38" tall tires I might get in trouble with the local police.