Author Topic: CB and Hand helds  (Read 5617 times)

CB and Hand helds
« on: 03/26/10, 12:05PM »

Offline ds_foster

• City Slicker
Just want some advice, I have no CB in my rig and have been think of a handheld because it is my daily driver and family vehicle as well. I however have no idea what to get to call back for a tow if needed. I don't get to wheel much cause my Jeep has no winch and i have no radio so I won't go out on my own, but would more if I had a radio. All the talk on the net about CB vs. handheld and UHF vs. VHF I just don't know what to get?!?!?!  HELP!!!!  :)

Re: CB and Hand helds
« Reply #1 on: 07/22/10, 12:06PM »

Offline MO-K5

• City Slicker
You might want to see which system is most often used in your area. Being on the most popular frequency will help you find someone. Just a suggestion. Im debating on the same kinda, but am leaning towards a cb cause i plan on having a trail only rig to  put it in. Does anyone know what the ranch uses or any other freq's that are used for help, 911 or in cases of emergency?
IT'S A FULL SIZE THING.....YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND.

« Reply #2 on: 07/22/10, 03:07PM »

Offline willysman22

• Ranch Local
You dont have to have a cb at the ranch,but its recommended.We use channel 7.A good cell would be a good backup.The lack of a winch shouldn't deter you from coming to the ranch.Many vehicles do not have them.A good trail buddy would work just as good.Brandon might chime in here about the emergency communications.
80' short-bed Toyota, Lexus V8, yota' stuff
09' Suzuki Kingquad 750AXI
48'Willys CJ2A
18' Jeep JLU Sport HT

« Reply #3 on: 07/23/10, 11:41AM »

Offline Jacksfork

• Ranch Mayor
  • Ranch Local
  • "YOU GONNA PULL THEM PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE!!"
    • Southern Missouri Off Road Ranch
I never recomend that you wheel alone but if you do not have a buddy to go out with there is usually someone here to tag along with or post up early and make a new friend. CB's are nice and work for most part at the ranch but if every a bad emergency have you cell phone ready for if you can not reach us by cb then your phone should work at the tops of the hills and have my number programed in and call so i can know what needs done.

Thanks,

Brandon
SMORR
JEEPS NAME IS "THE JUGGERNAUT"

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK MY PARTNERS IN CRIME: PITBULL TIRES, RACELINE WHEELS,  GREEN COUNTY OFF-ROAD, BUILT2ROCK OFF ROAD, WHY NOT CUSTOMS, WILDERNESS 4x4  and TEDS AUTO & MORE!!

« Reply #4 on: 07/23/10, 09:57PM »

Offline willysman22

• Ranch Local
Many of us would be willing to have you join us during your first trip,or any trip for that matter,if you dont have a buddy.If I am up there you are more that welcome to tag along,we always have a good time. ;D
80' short-bed Toyota, Lexus V8, yota' stuff
09' Suzuki Kingquad 750AXI
48'Willys CJ2A
18' Jeep JLU Sport HT

« Reply #5 on: 02/10/13, 06:37PM »

Offline GreenTJ4JC

• City Slicker
We have CBs in our rig. Cheap ones can be had at any truck stop. The important piece is to be sure you run a ground strap cause the after-market bumpers usually don't offer much (if any) ground plane. A hand-held can work IF you have an external antennae. I have a cheap magnetic mount that I can put on the hood of a fellow trail rider (someone like you that doesn't already have a CB in his rig) so that they can communicate. A hand-held will receive with the rubber ducky antennae, but it won't transmit from inside the rig, hence the need for an external antennae. CBs are great tools to have; after years of wheeling, I wouldn't go trail riding without one...

« Reply #6 on: 02/14/13, 10:52AM »

Offline Buster

• Ranch Local
Everyone has great suggestions.  I can't add much other than you don't have to spend a lot on a radio. They are all regulated to put out the same wattage, you just need a decent antenna.  I went up to the park last year not knowing anyone and there were more than enough people willing to let me tag along.   ;D
Fawker Fab - Three seater buggy - 454 on propane, 465/Fawker Fab doubler, One Tons, Detroits, 5.13's, 42" PBR's