Author Topic: worn out leaf springs  (Read 5391 times)

worn out leaf springs
« on: 03/29/10, 05:51PM »

Offline LoneWolf

• Clinging to guns and religion
  • Ranch Regulator
  • Ranch Local
  • The Ruby Lee
I need some advice on what to do with my leafs springs on the front of my Jeep.

Here's the problem. Once again this is the front. I have a Dana 60 SOA with stock YJ springs, I can only assume that springs are worn out because when I hit a pot hole and any speed above 3mph. The front will do what I call crash. It hits real hard. The springs sit flat and If I had to guess I would say they have a slight negative arch to them. While flexing I don't know what they do. Also I've put wagoneer springs on the back which lifted the back probably 1.5inches. I need to come up with something on the front; to give it back some bounce and a 1.5" of lift. This needs to be done on the super-cheap. Ideally I would purchase the RE SOA 1.5 leafs and I'm pretty sure that would get me where I want to be; but I don't have $360 for that. Lets hear some suggestions.

I have at my disposal a set of YJ rears; is it possible to take leafs from that and add to what I have? Also I been told I can take Chevy 1/2 leafs and add to the existing worn out leafs I have.

Remember I need to do this on the cheap.

TIA
« Last Edit: 03/29/10, 05:52PM by LoneWolf »
:USA:

Re: worn out leaf springs
« Reply #1 on: 03/29/10, 07:22PM »

Offline 2jeepdrivers

• Ranch Local
It's actually pretty easy to add leafs. Just clamp them with c clamps and then undo the center pin and clamps out on the leafs then slowly undo your c-clamps or generally you can just stand on them while you undo your c-clamps. You could take the main leaf from your rear springs and cut the eyes off them, adding the main leaf should raise it a little and stiffen your springs up some. If that is not enough add the next longest leaf to your leaf pack.
55' Willys Wagon Injected AMC 360, th400, 203/205, D44,12bolt
66' CJ6 in process of 302,c6,D44's,33's, soa and coils, full cage and some armor

« Reply #2 on: 03/29/10, 08:31PM »

Offline 24lisa

• Ranch Rocker
  • Ranch Local
Have you check your spring eye bushings. If they are shot it will cause a horrible ride
PaulLisa

« Reply #3 on: 03/29/10, 10:28PM »

Offline LoneWolf

• Ranch Regulator
  • Ranch Local
  • The Ruby Lee
I have stock YJ springs in a SOA config. They are notorious for not lasting long at all. Bushings are fine... but thanks!

I've talked with a buddy of mine and he has convinced me to go with some chevy rear 1/2 ton leafs and add them to what I have now... unless someone else has a better suggestion. I need it to be cheap whatever it is.

« Reply #4 on: 03/30/10, 01:55AM »

Offline Matt

• Ranch Local
Swap them out for XJ rear leafs at all 4 corners. Not sure on the lengths but you might need to move the shackles ? might even be 2" lift XJ springs ?
" Achmed "
RCROCS Marshall
SMORR ???

« Reply #5 on: 03/30/10, 10:37AM »

Offline LoneWolf

• Ranch Regulator
  • Ranch Local
  • The Ruby Lee
Appreciate the input Matt, but that's not currently in the budget, adding XJ leafs (6inches longer) would create a snowball effect $$$. plus I don't want to stretch it that much. I personally will never go more than 100" wb. currently with the waggy springs on the rear I am at 96". Anyway I'm just looking for a cheap fix to my worn out front springs to get me by for now. I'm either going to get some XJ or Chevy 1/2 rears and mix and match to get the pack and lift I want. I'll be keeping the YJ main leaf... don't want to stretch the front. I can do this for practically nothing...
« Last Edit: 03/30/10, 10:38AM by LoneWolf »

« Reply #6 on: 03/30/10, 09:42PM »

Offline 2jeepdrivers

• Ranch Local
If you can't find any leafs that will work let me know. I think I have three or four sets of different leafs. Don't really remember what they are all out of, but might be able to find some that work if you need them.
55' Willys Wagon Injected AMC 360, th400, 203/205, D44,12bolt
66' CJ6 in process of 302,c6,D44's,33's, soa and coils, full cage and some armor

« Reply #7 on: 03/30/10, 10:34PM »

Offline LoneWolf

• Ranch Regulator
  • Ranch Local
  • The Ruby Lee
thanks I appreciate that.. I got a set of XJ leafs given to me... gonna take from it and add to what I got. If I need anything I'll give ya a shout.  8)

« Reply #8 on: 03/30/10, 11:34PM »

Offline Iceman

• Ranch Local
Soa and stock springs don't last because of the axle wrap. generally it is more noticable on the rear due to the stubby little drive shaft chucking u-joints out on the trail. the front drive shaft is longer and will hold together but the springs still flex and sag just as much if not more due to the weight of the motor. add a v8 and the problem is accelerated even more. you can find 2" add-a-leafs on ebay for $50 each I have heard of the chevy 1/2 ton springs but I thought it was fronts not rears? either way check the width and length before you start. chevy 3/4 fronts are soa and the right length but are wider, no problem on the axle but you would have to do somthing where they connect to the frame. What ever you decide I would look into adding an anti wrap bar front and rear to make them live for a while.

« Reply #9 on: 04/01/10, 11:37AM »

Offline LoneWolf

• Ranch Regulator
  • Ranch Local
  • The Ruby Lee
thanks for the info Iceman; I do have an anti-wrap bar on the rear. I'm sure I could fab up something for the front and probably will.