Author Topic: towing question  (Read 2503 times)

towing question
« on: 01/03/11, 06:24AM »

Offline Jim Jackson

• Ranch Local
I want to tow my yj two wheels up on a tow dolly pulled by my rv.
Do I have to drop the drive shaft or is putting the transfer case in neutral good enough?

Re: towing question
« Reply #1 on: 01/07/11, 03:31PM »

Offline ford381stroker

• Ranch Regulator
  • Ranch Local
I heard something on this before and I will be the first to admit I am not a Jeep guy by any means.  They do better being flat towed from what I was told (second hand info).  I imagine it has something to do with the oiling in the transfer case but I can't tell you why.

If you unlbolt your rear driveshaft at least you are guaranteed you won't burn something up. 
For parts, welding and fabrication needs, visit my website:  http://peakoffroad.com/

Re: towing question
« Reply #2 on: 01/29/11, 09:01AM »

Offline Chris

• City Slicker
I did some research when I was flat towing my auto trans TJ and here is what I found worked best. Put the trans in neutral, put the transfer case in neutral, put the trans back in park.  That way the transfer case won't spin with the tires.  Not for sure if it's the same for a manual or not.  I would think the only difference in flat towing and using a dolly would be while flat towing you have to leave the key turned on one click so the steering doesn't lock up.  Wouldn't have to do that while using a tow dolly.