Author Topic: Rear four link or Radius arm  (Read 3511 times)

Rear four link or Radius arm
« on: 04/05/11, 09:12PM »

Offline 2jeepdrivers

• Ranch Local
I am in the middle of my build on my CJ6 and I was going to do a rear three link with a wishbone upper.
Ordered my joints from Ballistic Fab and they told me it would be three weeks now three weeks has passed and I am being told three weeks still. 
Now I am contemplating building a rear suspension with bushings instead of heims.  What I am wondering is if I use bushings in the rear with a parallel four link willl it flex alright or will it want to bind up. I am also thinking about a rear radius arm set up once again with bushings only no heims. This is new to me all of the other link setups I have done we have either used Johnyy Joints or Heims.  My budget is up for the QA1 rod ends or Johnny joints that is why I was going to run the Midwest Control Joints because from what I have read they are good quality and cheap. So if any of you have used bushings only please speak up I am trying to get this thing done by Memorial Weekend but if some parts don't start showing up it is never going to happen.
« Last Edit: 04/05/11, 09:14PM by 2jeepdrivers »
55' Willys Wagon Injected AMC 360, th400, 203/205, D44,12bolt
66' CJ6 in process of 302,c6,D44's,33's, soa and coils, full cage and some armor

Re: Rear four link or Radius arm
« Reply #1 on: 04/05/11, 11:09PM »

Offline goldswim5

• Ranch Local
Look for hiems from Ruff Stuff fab. They are better quality and I don't think any more expensive. And from a much more reliable company...
The road less traveled isn't necessarily a road.

« Reply #2 on: 04/06/11, 08:08PM »

Offline 2jeepdrivers

• Ranch Local
The ones ruff stuff sells are actually from the same company. I already talked to him and he can't get them either.  I think I am just going try it, a stock TJ has bushings all the way around and I am not looking for huge flex mainly just a better ride than  1966 CJ leaf springs have. If I can get close to what a typical TJ with a 4" lift has I will be happy, this is more of a family trail rider than a hardcore rig. My kids are old enough to drive now so I am more intersted in keeping them into wheeling and spending time with them than being able to run 5's all day.
66' CJ6 in process of 302,c6,D44's,33's, soa and coils, full cage and some armor

« Reply #3 on: 04/06/11, 11:08PM »

Offline Iceman

• Ranch Local
The rubber bushings will absorb shock and vibrations better resulting in a better ride and have more flex than you might think. I'd say go for it. If you don't like it you allways have the option to change it later. 8)

« Reply #4 on: 04/07/11, 11:49AM »

Offline bronco ted

• Ranch Regulator
  • Ranch Local
I run bushings and prefer them. Cheap plenty of flex,and im not sitting along the trail somewhere rebuilding a broken jj. BT.
Good advice comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad advice

« Reply #5 on: 04/07/11, 06:57PM »

Offline 2jeepdrivers

• Ranch Local
Yeah that is kind of what I decided after I got to thinking about this getting some street time. Gonna start on it tonight.