Author Topic: building a lightweight trailer  (Read 5175 times)

building a lightweight trailer
« on: 03/19/12, 12:43PM »

Offline BC_BUILDER

• Ranch Local
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14153681#post14153681

I am building a light weight trailer for my samurai, thread on pirate is listed.  If there is any interest I can start transfering stuff over here, but thought you guys might enjoy either way.

Re: building a lightweight trailer
« Reply #1 on: 03/19/12, 04:25PM »

Offline BC_BUILDER

• Ranch Local
Post a pick.

My motivation is that I can use my wifes astro van and camp in the back of it.

« Reply #2 on: 03/19/12, 05:18PM »

Offline travis grimm

• Ranch Regulator
  • Ranch Local
Bring em on. That's something a lot of -wheelers talk about but rarely follow through with. Thanks, man.
Tread Lightly

« Reply #3 on: 03/20/12, 12:50PM »

Offline BC_BUILDER

• Ranch Local

**copied from other thread***

I am building a lightweight trailer so that I can pull my samurai behind my wifes Chevy astro van.  The trailer of choice cam from a local salvage yard and is a 24' frame, 6x2x11ga tubes, with two 3500lbs brake axles.  This guy will have to come in to a total loaded weight of about 4500lbs with my stripped amurai on it.

Here is what I started with.  At this point I am begining to cut the subframe off of the trailer frame.

I cut the subframe loose and used a table under the rear bumper to raise the frame off the axles.  I moved the subframe out of the way so i can cut the frame down to size.

Next I hacked the frame off roughtly where I wanted it.  I will wait to finish this part up when I can get the frame in my garage.

I plan on the bed area being about 11.5' with a 4' tongue.  This will bring the total trailer length under 16' which will help me with titling my newly constructed trailer.

More to come soon..

« Reply #4 on: 03/20/12, 12:51PM »

Offline BC_BUILDER

• Ranch Local

I was able to get to work on the trailer this weekend.  I managed to place the axles where I needed them.  Finish cut the lenght of the trailer to 11.5' bed area.  Welded in some 2x2x0.25" angle cross members 1.5" under th the top edge of frame.  I will be going with 2x6 treated lumber for the deck flush with top of frame rail.

After picking up some more welding wire today i will be back on it after dinner.

« Reply #5 on: 03/20/12, 12:53PM »

Offline BC_BUILDER

• Ranch Local
as of last night I have gotten some more wire for the welder.  I have cut out the holes for my tail lights and wire routings.  I will run the wiring inside the frame tubes for a cleaner look and a harder time when  and If I need to replace some bad section of wiring.

Should be picking up lumber for the bed tonight and finishing up  my brackets.

« Reply #6 on: 03/22/12, 06:05PM »

Offline travis grimm

• Ranch Regulator
  • Ranch Local
Sweet. I shoulda taken pics when Phillip put the camper on mine with his forklift. I trust his driving but I wasn't trusting a $400 camper.lol.
Tread Lightly

« Reply #7 on: 03/22/12, 10:04PM »

Offline Jacksfork

• Ranch Mayor
  • Ranch Local
  • "YOU GONNA PULL THEM PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE!!"
    • Southern Missouri Off Road Ranch
Nice. Looking good and light!!
JEEPS NAME IS "THE JUGGERNAUT"

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK MY PARTNERS IN CRIME: PITBULL TIRES, RACELINE WHEELS,  GREEN COUNTY OFF-ROAD, BUILT2ROCK OFF ROAD, WHY NOT CUSTOMS, WILDERNESS 4x4  and TEDS AUTO & MORE!!

« Reply #8 on: 03/27/12, 07:27AM »

Offline BC_BUILDER

• Ranch Local

Here are some pictures I have taken showing the fenders I am building for this trailer.  The skin is 11ga. diamond plate steel, with 1.5" x 11ga. tubing for the frame.  I will brace these up enough that I can drive over the inner edges of them.  I am also adding stake pockets so that tie downs are easier along with the option of adding wooden runners for the inner fenders.

« Reply #9 on: 03/27/12, 10:36PM »

Offline ford381stroker

• Ranch Regulator
  • Ranch Local
I like your tire choice on you Sammi.  TSL SX's are nice!
For parts, welding and fabrication needs, visit my website:  http://peakoffroad.com/