Author Topic: weekend warrior build  (Read 9314 times)

weekend warrior build
« on: 10/03/12, 07:35AM »

Offline BC_BUILDER

• Ranch Local
About 6 months ago I bought a samurai to use as a parts vehicle for another one I picked up with a good body but a hacked up frame.  Soon I gotten the idea in my head that I could make a truck out of this one and have a fun daily driver weekend warrior type rig.  Here is the rig after I had cut out all of the major rust.

The next thing I did was hammer the rear seam on the targa bar down flat to provide a good surface to weld in my rear panel.  My idea for the the rear panel is a bit different from the ones I have seen on the internet, I am still going to have a removable roof. 

Re: weekend warrior build
« Reply #1 on: 10/03/12, 07:38AM »

Offline BC_BUILDER

• Ranch Local
The rest of the pictures show my top panel section for the half cab I am lucky that I can use some of the tools at work for forming the metal.  I used a shear to get a rough shaped portion of the cab and used the press brake to put a 1” lip on the bottom to bolt this down to the lower cab section.

My next step is to get the bottom cab section installed and patch all of the holes left inside and add a rear window.
I will then stretch the frame about 18” and build a flatbed from round tubing or buy a dropside bed from one of those small japanise mini trucks that are imported here.

« Reply #2 on: 10/03/12, 11:41AM »

Offline travis grimm

• Ranch Regulator
  • Ranch Local
Looking good. The dropside bed idea makes halfing my samurai sound better yet.
« Last Edit: 10/03/12, 11:43AM by travis grimm »
Tread Lightly

« Reply #3 on: 10/04/12, 07:10AM »

Offline BC_BUILDER

• Ranch Local

Last night I have finished up the lower cab panel and weld it in on the sides. I should get the side panels made up soon to square off the cab and make it look like it was always a truck.  Next I will be chopping the frame to stretch the wheelbase.  What is the wheelbase on a sj413? And is it the same as a lwb samurai?

« Reply #4 on: 10/10/12, 07:50AM »

Offline BC_BUILDER

• Ranch Local

UPDATES:

These two pictures are of me building the new front spring mounts, I am plateing the frame with 10ga. steel for the fishplates.

The next two pictures show the truck at the finished wheel base.  I have added 18" to the frame and will be plating all four sides of the joint.

These images show where i spliced the frame. I did it this way to preserve the tank & shock mounts and rear suspension hanger.  If it ever do this again I will build a new frame from the t-case back.

« Reply #5 on: 10/10/12, 11:49AM »

Offline travis grimm

• Ranch Regulator
  • Ranch Local
Diggin it  :)
Tread Lightly

« Reply #6 on: 10/11/12, 09:38PM »

Offline Iceman

• Ranch Local
Plating the frame around the hard joints is a great idea. you may want to consider throwing in an extra cross member to limit the flex of the frame and stress on those welds. As a bonus it will give you something to mount the bed to.

« Reply #7 on: 10/12/12, 07:38AM »

Offline BC_BUILDER

• Ranch Local
an extra crossmember was in the plan, just have not had time to get that far yet.

I will be mounting my traction bar to that crossmember.

I am going to build my own bed instead of buying one, the length will be about 54" and I will integrat some type of roll bar into it.

« Reply #8 on: 10/13/12, 10:43PM »

Offline Iceman

• Ranch Local
Sweet, roll bars are good. I'm in the process of building a cage in the jeep pictured in my avitar. Seems like it has taken forever. But I like the results so far. Yes that is a Plywood cab in the picture. OK enough hijacking your thread. Keep up the good work.

« Reply #9 on: 10/18/12, 08:06PM »

Offline willysman22

• Ranch Local
I loved my Samurai. I hope to see more pics of the build.
80' short-bed Toyota, Lexus V8, yota' stuff
09' Suzuki Kingquad 750AXI
48'Willys CJ2A
18' Jeep JLU Sport HT